It is a tongue-in-cheek discussion most of us have had with family and friends. What songs would you have played at your funeral? After all, a funeral service and the music played should celebrate your life in the way you want.
A quick look at the current top 10 funeral songs turns up some predictable results. ‘My Way’ by Frank Sinatra is favourite, followed by ‘Time to Say Goodbye’ in second place. Another more ironic choice is ‘Always Look on the Bright Side of Life’ from Monty Python’s ‘Life of Brian’.
Have you planned your song choice?
Do any of the above reflect your wishes? Or would you take a different approach? Would you want the attendees to truly celebrate your life and your sense of humour or would you rather make a poignant, emotional choice?
Whatever works for you, whether hymn or humour, you want your song choice to be one less thing for your loved ones to worry about.
It can be costly too
There’s no soft way to approach this topic but it’s best to tackle these difficult issues head on, like how we would cover the costs of our funeral. The average cost of a funeral is at an all-time high of £9,214. This is a 29% increase in just 10 years.
- £4,281 – the average cost of a basic funeral including the doctor, funeral director fees, the cremation or burial and the minister or celebrant
- £2,061 – the average amount spent on additional extras such as the memorial, death and funeral notices, flowers, order of service sheets, limousines, venue and the wake
- £2,872 – the average amount spent on hiring legal professionals to administer the estate
A Whole of Life Plan can help take away some of the financial worry for your loved ones. These plans are designed to pay out a specified sum when you pass away, or are diagnosed with a terminal illness. The amount paid depends on the sum assured and type of cover you choose when setting up your plan.
Most popular funeral songs by genre
- Abide With Me
- All Things Bright And Beautiful
- The Lord Is My Shepherd
- Stairway To Heaven Led Zeppelin
- Bat Out Of Hell Meatloaf
- Don’t Want To Miss A Thing Aerosmith
- Match Of The Day
- Cricket Theme
- You’ll Never Walk Alone
- Chasing Cars Snow Patrol
- Wonderwall Oasis
- Don’t Look Back In Anger Oasis
- Only Fools And Horses
- Last Of The Summer Wine
- Coronation Street
- I’ll Be Missing You Puff Daddy
- I Miss You Beyoncé
- One Sweet Day Boyz II men
If you’d like to plan ahead then please call us on 01252 416516 to speak to one of our specialist Insurance advisers today!
Don’t risk it. Get protected.